Are you unhappy with the color of your smile? Have you considered teeth whitening? Take this quiz from your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Jessica Johnson, and see what you find out about teeth whitening treatment.
Take the Quiz
- True or False: Teeth whitening can remove any kind of stain from teeth.
- True or False: Whitening strips and toothpastes do not work.
- True or False: You can whiten your teeth professionally in the comfort of your own home.
Check Your Answers
- False. Teeth whitening treatment can remove extrinsic stains (those on the outer surface of teeth) from teeth. Extrinsic stains are typically caused by overexposure to dark pigments found in foods and drinks. A few examples of dark pigments include those found in coffee, soda, red wine, and tea. Intrinsic stains, on the other hand, are not targeted by teeth whitening treatment. These stains occur inside teeth and are often the result of trauma, medication, or overexposure to fluoride. Teeth with intrinsic stains are often treated with dental bonding or veneers.
- False. Whitening strips and toothpastes are capable of lightening teeth, but their results are not usually very dramatic. The whitening agents used in whitening strips and toothpastes are not as strong as those used in professional whitening treatments. Thus the results offered by the strips and toothpastes are often less noticeable.
- True. If you choose to receive teeth whitening treatment from your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Johnson, you will be able to whiten your teeth in your own home. Dr. Johnson offers take-home whitening kits that include custom-fitted whitening trays and a whitening solution. Patients must simply fill the trays with the solution and wear them over their teeth for a specified treatment period each day. Full results show after about two weeks.
Schedule a Visit with Your Des Moines Cosmetic Dentist
Are you embarrassed because of dull or yellow teeth? Teeth whitening can brighten your smile and restore your confidence. Contact your Des Moines cosmetic dentist, Dr. Johnson, today to schedule an appointment by calling our 50266 dentist office at 515-223-9764. We welcome patients from West Des Moines, Waukee, Clive, and nearby Des Moines metro communities.