Grab your pencils and hunker down! It’s time for a quiz. Test your knowledge to see how well you know your mouth and the proper way to care for it. Questions and answers from your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Jessica Johnson, are below.
1. For about how long should you brush your teeth?
a. 0-1 minute
b. 1-2 minutes
c. 2-3 minutes
d. 4-6 minutes
2. How many times per day should you brush your teeth
c. Three times
d. As often as you are able
3. How many teeth do adults have?
4. True or False: Eighteen inches of floss is too much.
- c. You should brush your teeth for about 2-3 minutes. This duration should give you enough time to brush all the available surfaces of each tooth. Remember to focus on one or two teeth at a time while brushing and to brush with small, circular motions.
- b. It is recommended that you brush your teeth twice a day. Brushing more often can actually cause damage to the teeth and gums from too much abrasion. Thus brushing twice a day strikes a happy medium with keeping teeth clean and not causing them significant damage. Just be sure that you do not brush too forcefully.
- c. Adults have 32 teeth.
- False. Eighteen inches of floss is a good amount of floss to use. At first, 18 inches may seem like too much. However, you want to make sure that you continue to use clean sections of the floss as you work your way through your mouth.
Schedule a Visit with Your Des Moines General Dentist
Regular dental visits can help keep your teeth and gums healthy. If it has been more than six months since your last visit, you are due for a checkup. Schedule an appointment to visit your Des Moines general dentist, Dr. Johnson, today by calling 515-223-9764. Our 50266 dentist office welcomes patients from West Des Moines, Waukee, Clive, and nearby Des Moines metro communities.