Dental cleanings can provide some serious benefits for your oral health. You may receive feedback about your homecare, learning whether or not you are missing any areas in your mouth, and you get the benefit of a professional’s experience to help clean your mouth. To underscore just how important a dental cleaning can be, your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Jessica Johnson, is challenging you to a quiz all about dental cleanings.
- How often should you receive a dental cleaning from your Des Moines dentist?
- True or False: There is only one kind of dental cleaning.
- True or False: Plaque removal is essential because it contains harmful bacteria.
- Every six months. Regular attendance of dental visits can really help improve or maintain your oral health. Be sure to visit your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Johnson, at least twice a year, and more often if you experience an oral health problem.
- False. While one type of dental cleaning is the most common, it is not the only type of cleaning available. The most common type of dental cleaning is called a prophylaxis. The major focus of this cleaning is plaque and tartar removal. During a prophylaxis, a hygienist will use a variety of instruments to scrape any stubborn plaque or tartar from teeth. He or she will then polish the teeth. A second type of dental cleaning is called a root planing and scaling. This type of cleaning is reserved for patients with unhealthy gums. A root planing and scaling cleans below the surface of the gums to remove harmful bacteria and improve gum health.
- True. If plaque is left on teeth, the bacteria it contains can continue to attack teeth until they succumb to tooth decay.
Schedule a Visit with Your Des Moines Dentist
When was your last dental cleaning? If it was more than six months ago, you are due for another. Contact your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Johnson, today to schedule an appointment by calling 515-223-9764. Our 50266 dentist office welcomes patients from West Des Moines, Waukee, Clive, and nearby Des Moines metro communities.