Cosmetic dentistry refers to dental procedures designed to improve the appearance of a person’s teeth. There are a variety of procedures that address different cosmetic problems, and sometimes multiple procedures are capable of addressing the same blight. To help you become familiar with the different cosmetic procedures, your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Jessica Johnson, has prepared a quiz on cosmetic dentistry.
Take the Quiz
Choose the cosmetic procedure or procedures that can address the problems described below.
Your choices include A) teeth whitening B) dental bonding C) dental contouring D) veneers.
- Intrinsic tooth stains
- A chipped tooth
- A misshapen tooth
- Crowded teeth
- Extrinsic tooth stains
Check Your Answers
- B and D. Intrinsic tooth stains cannot be treated effectively with professional teeth whitening. Instead, your Des Moines cosmetic dentist, Dr. Johnson, recommends dental bonding or the placement of veneers. Intrinsic tooth stains occur on the inside of teeth, where whitening agents cannot reach them. Thus the cosmetic procedures that can improve intrinsic stains are those that hide their appearance. Dental bonding applies a tooth-colored composite resin to teeth, leaving them with a white and unstained surface, while veneers are thin layers of porcelain that attach to the front surface of teeth to hide the stains.
- B and D. A chipped tooth can be masked by porcelain veneers or repaired by dental bonding. To repair a chipped tooth with dental bonding, your Des Moines cosmetic dentist, Dr. Johnson, will first apply the resin to the damaged tooth and sculpt it into the desired shape. Next she will harden the resin with a curing light before polishing the tooth.
- C. Dental contouring is a cosmetic procedure that scrapes away small portions of enamel to smooth any irregularities in the surface of the tooth. The changes offered by dental contouring are small, but they can have a large impact on the appearance of a smile.
- D. Veneers can mask the appearance of crowded teeth, allowing for a quick transformation that would take much longer with braces.
- A. Extrinsic stains are those on the surface of teeth. These are the stains targeted by teeth whitening. Using a whitening agent, professional teeth whitening can lift the stains and lighten teeth several shades.
Schedule a Visit with Your Des Moines Cosmetic Dentist
Are you unhappy with the appearance of your smile? Contact your Des Moines cosmetic dentist, Dr. Johnson, today to schedule an appointment by calling our 50266 dentist office at 515-223-9764. We welcome patients from West Des Moines, Waukee, Clive, and nearby Des Moines metro communities.