At Valley Ridge Family Dental, we offer the latest in children’s dentistry to help our youngest patients maintain a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums. Parents often have a lot of questions about our dental procedures and how to help their children’s smiles stay beautiful and bright. That is why in today’s blog, your Des Moines dentist, Dr. Jessica Johnson, uses a fun and informative quiz to discuss our approach to providing quality children’s dentistry.
Des Moines IA Children’s Dentistry Quiz
1. True or False: Routine checkups help Dr. Johnson watch for any signs of dental problems.
2. True or False: Dr. Johnson modifies dental cleanings especially to your child’s stage of development.
3. True or False: Fluoride treatments can strengthen your little one’s tooth enamel.
4. True or False: Dental sealants can help your child avoid cavities.
1. True. After their initial checkup around age one, starting at age three your child should see Dr. Johnson once every six months. During a checkup, Dr. Johnson will watch for signs of developing dental issues, such as tooth decay and misalignment, and recommend the appropriate treatment. Routine visits also allow your child to become accustomed to the dentist’s office, helping to ease dental anxiety.
2. True. Dental cleanings involve polishing teeth and removing the layers of plaque that may cause bad breath and eventually lead to gum disease. Depending on your child’s age, Dr. Johnson will modify the cleaning to best address his/her individual dental health.
3. True. For children with teeth susceptible to decay, your Des Moines IA children’s dentist may prescribe a fluoride treatment to strengthen their enamel against the bacteria that cause tooth decay.
4. True. Dental sealants are thin layers of special plastic material applied to the molars in the back of your child’s mouth. Since these teeth are hard for children to reach when brushing, most cavities begin there. Sealants prevent food from becoming stuck to or between the teeth, helping them avoid cavities.
Schedule a Visit with Your Des Moines IA Children’s Dentist
Does your child need a checkup or a cleaning? If you would like to schedule an appointment, contact your Des Moines IA children’s dentist, Dr. Johnson, today to schedule an appointment or a consultation by calling our 50266 dentist office at 515-223-9764. We welcome patients from West Des Moines, Waukee, Clive, and nearby Des Moines metro communities.