Dentures can drastically transform a person’s life by restoring missing teeth. However, in some cases, wearing dentures can cause just as many problems as they solve. To learn more about dentures and your options for improving their function and their comfort, try the following quiz from your Des Moines IA dentist, Dr. Jessica Johnson, and consult the answer key below.
- True or False: Many of the problems denture wearers experience are caused by improper fits.
- True or False: Today’s dentures are heavier than the dentures of the past.
- True or False: Dentures can be supported by dental implants to lend them greater stability and comfort.
The Answer Key
- True. Dentures rely on suction to remain stable in the mouth, so if the fit is even slightly off, the suction has a difficult time holding. When the suction is unable to hold, the dentures will slide around the mouth, causing irritation and other difficulties. Among these difficulties are speech problems because when the dentures are unstable, the facial muscles will tense in an attempt to keep them stationary. Unfortunately, this muscular effort affects clear speech, making it come out mumbled or slurred.
- False. Today’s dentures are, in fact, lighter and sleeker than ever before. Gone are the bulky and fake-looking prosthetics that you may remember. In their place have arrived realistic-looking prosthetic teeth that fit comfortably into the mouth.
- True. A more permanent solution to ill-fitting dentures is to have them supported by dental implants. The dental implants are inserted into the jawbone, where they use the stability of the jaw to anchor the dentures firmly into place. The extra stability reduces irritation in the mouth and even offers a solution to the speech problems created by sliding dentures.
Schedule a Visit with Your Des Moines IA Dentist
Are you interested in stabilizing your dentures with dental implants? Contact our 50266 dentist office today at 515-223-9764 to schedule an appointment or a consultation with your Des Moines IA dentist, Dr. Johnson. We welcome patients from West Des Moines, Waukee, Clive, and nearby Des Moines metro communities.