Have you had a toothache recently? How did you handle it? There are many potential causes behind a toothache, and depending upon the cause, there are procedures you should follow. To find out if you are a toothache expert, test your knowledge with the following quiz from your Des Moines IA dentist, Dr. Jessica Johnson. Then check your answers below.
Take the Quiz
- True or False: You can cure a toothache by placing an aspirin on your aching tooth.
- True or False: A toothache that lingers for several days is nothing to worry about.
- True or False: Regular flossing can help prevent toothaches.
Check Your Answers
- False. When it comes to managing the pain in a tooth, the aspirin will be much more effective if you swallow it. In addition, aspirin will not really cure a toothache. If the toothache is a fleeting sensitivity, the aspirin may relieve the pain while the tooth is sensitive. However, if the cause of the toothache is serious, the pain will likely return after the aspirin wears off.
- False. If a toothache lingers for several days, you should consider visiting your Des Moines IA dentist, Dr. Johnson. Pain is the body’s way of communicating to us that there is a problem that needs to be addressed, and while it is true that some toothaches are not indicators of serious oral health problems, the longer a toothache lingers, the more likely it is that you are dealing with a significant problem.
- True. Many toothaches are the result of irritants that become wedged between teeth. Thus, if you floss regularly, you can reduce the likelihood that these situations will occur.
Schedule a Visit with Your Des Moines IA Dentist
Do you have a lingering toothache? If so, don’t ignore the pain. Contact our 50266 dentist office today at 515-223-9764 to schedule an appointment or a consultation with your Des Moines IA dentist, Dr. Johnson. We welcome patients from West Des Moines, Waukee, Clive, and nearby Des Moines metro communities.