Dentistry seeks to preserve teeth by keeping them healthy. However, there are times when a tooth extraction may be necessary for the continuing health of the mouth. Do you know when extractions should be performed? Find out with the following quiz from your Des Moines IA dentist, Dr. Jessica Johnson. Test your knowledge and check your answers below.
Take the Quiz
- True or False: A broken tooth may need to be extracted.
- True or False: When a tooth is infected, it should never be extracted.
- True or False: An extraction may be performed for cosmetic purposes.
Check Your Answers
- True. Generally speaking, a broken tooth should be fitted with a dental crown in order to repair the damage and reinforce the tooth. However, sometimes the damage to a tooth is so extensive that it cannot be fitted with a dental crown. In these cases, the tooth should be extracted for the good of the mouth as infection is a serious risk.
- False. For the most part, an infected tooth should receive root canal treatment. This procedure can remove the infection from the tooth and fill it to prevent further damage. However, if a patient has a weakened immune system, an extraction may be performed on an infected tooth in place of root canal treatment. The goal in doing this is to ensure that the body is completely rid of the infection quickly to protect the patient’s health.
- True. Sometimes the proper alignment of teeth may only be achieved by extracting one or more teeth. Teeth do not always fit well into the mouth, and if there is not enough space to fit them all, extractions may be performed to create the needed space.
Schedule a Visit with Your Des Moines IA Dentist
Are you in need of a tooth extraction? If so, contact our 50266 dentist office today at 515-223-9764 to schedule an appointment or a consultation with your Des Moines IA dentist, Dr. Johnson. We welcome patients from West Des Moines, Waukee, Clive, and nearby Des Moines metro communities.